The History Of The Carew Arms
Originally known as The Three Lions, the pub owes its name and signboard to the Carew family who became lords of the manor in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. The first Carew to become lord of the manor was Thomas. His great uncle, Vice Admiral George Carew, was captaining the Mary Rose when she sank in Portsmouth harbour during the reign of Henry VIII. The Inn still retains much of it rural charm.
The first written mention of Crowcombe was in 854, in a document of King Ethelwulf who was father of Alfred the Great, where it was spelt ‘Cerawicombe’. Fifty years later some land at ‘Crawncombe’ was granted to Alfred’s son, King Edward the Elder, and appears to have remained in the possession of the Saxon kings, It probably passed to the Earl Godwin and then on to his death to his widow Gytha. Gytha granted the estate to Winchester to atone for her husband’s sins. The Doomsday Book of 1086 gives the name as ‘Crawcombe’, and the manor as being held by Robert of Mortain. In the 13th century the manor was given the right to hold a market(1227) and the first recorded fair was held in 1234. It was not long after this that the manor was split when part of the estate was willed to the Prioress of Studley, and was held by the Priory until the time of the dissolution 1534. The other half remain in the family and was known as Crowcombe-Biccombe, it was this half that came into the ownership of the Carews.
The present population of Croiwcombe is about 500 and the parish covers the hamlets of Crowcombe Heathfield, Flaxpool, Halsway, Lawford and Triscombe. It has one shop, the inn (of course!), a local first school and a wine merchant as well as a number of small businesses. Despite the lack of shopping facilities it is certainly worth stopping here to view the architecture and take in the ambience of this ancient village. There is a free public car park behind the church house.
More information about the area can be found at www.quantockonline.co.uk/quantocks/villages